How Blessed Are You?
If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:
- 57 Asians
- 21 Europeans
- 14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
- 8 would be Africans
- 52 would be female
- 48 would be male
- 70 would be non-white
- 30 would be white
- 70 would be non-Christian
- 30 would be Christian
- 89 would be heterosexual
- 11 would be homosexual
- 6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.
- 80 would live in substandard housing
- 70 would be unable to read
- 50 would suffer from malnutrition
- 1 would be near death
- 1 would be near birth
- 1 would have a college education
- 1 would own a computer
When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for both acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent. And, therefore . . .
- If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep ... you are richer than 75% of this world.
- If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ... you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.
- If you woke up this morning with more health than illness ...you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week. -If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation...you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.
- If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death ... you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.
- If your parents are still alive and still married ...you are very rare, even in the United States.
- If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly thankful...you are blessed because the majority can, but most do not.
- If you can hold someone's hand, hug them, or even touch them on the shoulder...you are blessed because you can offer a healing touch.