Editors Note: If you have a website, you built it for one reason and that is to bring in qualified leads. So is your website getting the leads that you expected? If not, determine if you are getting a reasonable amount of traffic before you do anything else. You can have the greatest website in the world, but unless people find you, it's completely useless.
Building website traffic is simply marketing your website so that it can market for you. Increasing your website traffic isn't going to happen overnight, but with consistent work and dedication to the basic principles of website marketing, you should see traffic slowly improve over time.
11 Quick Tips To Drive More Return Traffic To Your Business Website
by: Christoph Puetz
Sometimes you need a kick start to get of the ground when promoting your new business website. Use these 11 tips to get started. A combination of several tips will most likely guarantee return visitors on your website. Return visitors most likely mean more sales.
1. Build a solid business foundation before starting. Create a business plan (this should be document revisited every quarter), marketing plan, client profile, and a site map for your web site.
2. Be very consistent. Brand your company and stick to it.
4. Network locally to bring people to your site. Start with the local chamber of commerce as an example.
5. Place your website's URL address on all your printed business literature -- business cards, brochures, newsletters, letterhead, invoices, ads, etc.!
6. Offer added values that are related to your business and the ideal client (target group). A solid resource database helping clients getting most out of your services could be a good start. Maybe offer products. A FTP software for a web hosting client makes perfect sense as they can use it to conveniently upload their files to the hosting web server.
7. Add a "Recommend This Site to a friend" script on your site. If someone visits your site and knows someone else who may appreciate it, this feature will email the page's link to the recipient. Easy access to a tool like this could increase 'word of mouth' advertising.
8. Setup monthly chats about related topics or install bulletin boards (forums) to build a relationships and community. This will attach customers to your business. Invite industry specific folks to a chat so that they can answer customer questions. This is a perk nobody can resist.
9. Teach classes in colleges or schools or speak to groups about subjects relating to your products and services. Students suddenly turn into customers and/or spread the word ....
10. Conduct periodic contests and announce the winners on your site. As a web host you could have contest for who has the best web design on your servers. People like to show off. Use this behavior to attract new clients.11. Participate in online forums as an expert. Do not SPAM the forums with your advertising messages. Use the signature to quietly promote your services. Once people see you as a valuable member with lots of information and start trusting you, they will start trusting you their business.