Apple Cranberry Streusel Pie
- Pastry for single crust 9-inch pie
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 7-1/4 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes
or 24 packets Equal® sweetener
or 1 cup Equal® Spoonful™
- 1-3/4 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes
or 6 packets Equal® sweetener
or1/4 cup Equal® Spoonful™
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen, thawed cranberries, cut into halves
- 5 cups sliced cored peeled Granny Smith
or other baking apples (about 5 medium)
- Streusel Topping (recipe follows)
Yield: Makes 8 servings.
- Roll pastry on floured surface into circle 1 inch larger than inverted pie pan. Ease pastry into pan, trim and flute.
- Combine cornstarch and 7-1/4 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 24 packets Equal® sweetener or 1 cup Equal® Spoonful™ in small saucepan; stir in apple cider and cranberries. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Combine remaining 1-3/4 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 6 packets Equal® sweetener or 1/4 cup Equal® Spoonful™, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; sprinkle over apples in large bowl and toss. Pour cranberry mixture over apples and mix gently. Arrange fruit in pie pastry; sprinkle Streusel Topping over apples.
- Bake pie in preheated 400°F oven until pastry is golden and apples are tender, 50 to 60 minutes, covering pie loosely with aluminum foil during last 20 to 30 minutes of baking time to prevent over-browning. Cool on wire rack; serve warm.
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes
or 12 packets Equal® sweetener
or 1/2 cup Equal® Spoonful™
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into pieces
Yield: Makes about 1/2 cup
- Combine oats, flour, Equal®, cinnamon, and nutmeg in small bowl; cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
||1-1/2 fruit, 1 bread, 2 fat
|43% calorie reduction from traditional recipe