Those of us who grew up in a small town will laugh when we read
this. Those of you who didn't will be in disbelief... but trust me
every one of these is true.
1) You can name everyone you graduated with
2) You know what 4-H is
3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, or in the middle of
a dirt road.
4) You used to lap "main"
5) You said the "F" word and your parents knew within
6) You scheduled parties around the schedule of different
police officers, since you know which ones would bust you and
which ones wouldn't.
7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks
knew how old you were (and if you were old enough they'd tell your
8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to
buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive
on back roads to smoke them.
9) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town
10) The whole school went to the same party after graduation
11) You don't give directions by street names or directions by
references. Turn by Nelson's house, go to 2 blocks east to
Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track (field)
12) The golf course had only 9 holes
13) You can't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend
14) Your car stays filthy because of the dirt roads and you
will never own a dark vehicle for this reason
15) The town next to you is considered "trashy" or
"snooty", but is actually just like your town.
16) You refer anyone with a house newer than 1980 as the
17) The people in the "big city" dress funny then you
pick up the trend 2 years later
18) Anyone you want can be found at the local gas station or
the town pub
19) You see at least one friend a week driving a tractor
through town or one of your friends drives a grain truck to school
20) The gym teacher suggest you haul hay for the summer to get
21) Directions are given using THE stop light as a reference
22) You decide to walk somewhere for exercise and 5 people pull
over and ask you if you want a ride somewhere
23) Your teachers call you by your older sibling's names
24) Your teachers remember when they taught your parents
25) You can charge at all the local stores or write checks
without any ID
26) The closest McDonalds is 20 miles away (or more)
27) The closest mall is over an hour away
28) It is normal to see an old man riding through town on a
29) You've peed in a cornfield, or cotton field.
30) Most people go by a nickname.
31) The movie theater had one screen, everyone knew which seats
were broken, and it was called "The Bijou".
31) You laugh your butt off reading this because you know it is
all true and you forward it to everyone who lives in your town
(because you know them All!!!)