If you don't remember this, you're too young anyway. This is a
time we can feel good about remembering so much!
I am sharing this with you today because it ends with a
"double dog dare" to pass it on.
Always remember that the perfect age is somewhere between old
enough to know better and young enough not to care.
How many do you remember?
- Candy cigarettes.
- Wax coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.
- Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles.
- Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes.
- Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum.
- Home milk delivery in glass bottles, with cardboard stoppers.
- Party lines.
- Newsreels before the movie.
- P. F. Flyers.
- Butch wax.
- Telephone numbers with a word prefix, (Drexel-5505).
- 45-RPM Records.
- Green Stamps.
- Metal ice cube trays-with levers.
- Mimeograph paper.
- Blue flash Bulbs.
- Beanie and Cecil.
- Roller skate keys.
- Cork pop guns.
- Drive ins.
- Wash tub wringers.
- The Fuller Brush man.
- Reel-to-reel tape recorders.
- The Erector Set.
- The Fort Apache Playset.
- Lincoln Logs.
- 15 cent McDonald hamburgers.
- 5 cent packs of baseball cards...with that awful pink slab of
- Penny candy.
- 35 cent-a-gallon gasoline.
AND A TIME WHEN ....................
Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo."
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the
Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire
It wasn't odd to have two or three "best"
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was
Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a
A foot of snow was a dream come true.
Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute ads for action
"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense.
Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
War was a card game.
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.
Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a
Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin.
If you can't remember most or all of these, then you haven't
Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their
"grown up life...."
I double dog dare ya!